Monday, October 25, 2010

A Love Letter

This is a repost from last new years. In light of my new found glory of dreaming, and my special mini dragon friend, I thought it would be nice to post it again and share my idea of love.



A Line from a movie has been rattling around in my head lately, and as is so often the case, I need to spew it all over the internet. The line is “everybody has their death star.” As is so often the case, the lines that rattle around in my head are from b movies. And is so often the case, it comingled with another thought that was in my mind and created a life of its own.
It has recently come to my attention that not everybody worships at the altar of Lucas, and thus some explanation may be necessary. You see there was this poor country orphan named Luke. He was living in a remote area dreaming of the stars in the sky, and probably those angels from the fifth ,moon of Iego his father used to talk about....wow I am a geek...anyway, one day Luke got swept away on an adventure. Luke was forced to choose sides in a great struggle and he ended up being the deciding factor in what would be considered the first death blow to an evil regime. He blew up the death star. For the rest of his life he would never really do something that great again on a grand scale, though some might argue that what he did before the end was more monumental, but frankly I like to think that blowing up a giant sized death machine is much more grand than writhing on the floor pleading for his life...yep geek...so there you have what is meant by everyone has their death star, that one monumental moment in their life that defines them and forever changes their destiny and outlook on life.
I have had my death star. The sad reality is no one left alive knows it, but I did, and I regret none of it. It may not have had anything glorious, and in fact one might say it was inglorious, but nevertheless I can honestly say I have nothing to regret on the death star front, which is a blessing.
There is however something I do regret. I never owned a dragon. I mean owned and not slayed. Many people have ideas of what a dragon represents, one writer uses it as a metaphor for father, another for honour, another for salvation...the list is long. No matter what you think of when you hear or see the word dragon, majestic has to come to mind. While they may also be horrible killing machines in their own right, they are also beautiful and graceful. Malevolent and honourable, terrifying and unforgettable. These flying amalgams of all our hope dreams and fears are truly wonders, and I always wanted one.
I knew that a dragon would both breath life in to me and a take my life, but I wanted one anyway. To soar the heights of the sky and to plunge the depths of despairing dungeons would have been magnificent in a way. Too many people have felt that wondrous terrible feeling, and yet not me. I came close, possessing drakes and dragoons, even riding a dragon turtle, but never ever have owned a dragon, and so one might say for me the true death star never came. I writhed on the floor begging for mercy, and got it, but I never even bulls eyed a womprat, let alone nailed the shot heard round the galaxy
But this is not that kind of rambling, this is the kind of rambling on the night when all things are possible, I wish all of you your dragon and your death star. I want all of my friends to ride the dragon and in so doing find their death star and take their rightful place in the annals of time as the wondrous creatures you are.
Tomorrow begins a new year, and with it the hope of eternal springs and a life less ordinary. For me, I always dreamed not of the stars, but an ordinary life, riding a dragon.
Someday it will happen, because today I dare to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment